Sunday, February 22, 2009

"It's Time We Met"

I always have fun in museums, but until yesterday I never had fun at a museum because of an advertising campaign. Like many of you, I like to think I’m an independent thinker who makes my purchasing decisions based on a series of circumstances, not glossy images with great or sly punch lines. But sometimes, the punch line is so good, the suggestion so appealing that we capitulate to the advertisers. This winter, the Metropolitan Museum of Art launched a brilliant campaign/photo contest, titled “It’s Time We Met.” The contest encourages people to come into the permanent collections and take pictures of their experience. One winning image will be chosen and it will be used in the ongoing campaign.

There are a lot of reasons why the Met’s initiative is so good, not the least is its hook—the playful, double entendre in the title. New York has a crowded museum field with scores of institutions vying for the limited time and attention of the museum-going public. Couple this with New Yorkers’ perception that the City’s most popular museums are tourist traps and you can begin to understand why (incredibly, unbelievably) many New Yorkers have never visited the Met. “It’s Time We Met” addresses that problem head on. But the title also reaches out to another under-represented museum-going demographic—Generation Y. By turning the museum’s nickname into a verb, the Museum, which has a popular reputation of being elite and stodgy, has adopted a popular linguistic convention rife in 20-somethings speech—I googled it; I’ll blog about it; etc.

The campaign is pitch-perfectly geared towards Gen Y and their sense of fun. Gen Y likes to actively participate and share their experiences with their friends. The Met asks people to upload their contest submissions to Flickr, a photo-sharing website. Instead of saying, “email us your photo submissions,” the Museum is encouraging the fun to continue after a trip. As you upload, you can see what everyone else’s visit was like. The photos are awesome and makes clear that there are thousands of different ways to experience/personalize the same museum.

I was amazed at the photo contest transformed my experience of the collection. I go to the Met a lot and for no specific reason—it’s my defacto I-have-some-free-time-and-don’t-feel-like-reading-in-a-coffee-shop destination. I often wander aimlessly into special exhibitions or just stroll through the permanent collections. It’s fun in a quiet, cerebral, passive way. For this trip, I invited two friends, Patty and Abby, to go along with me to take snapshots. It turns out that taking a contest-worthy shot was a lot harder than we thought! Our visit turned into a scavenger hunt for photo opportunities, making us consider the collection in a new and creative way.

We started out in the American Wing, of course, and discovered it’s really hard to make the dec arts playful when you can’t touch anything.

Abby and I peek out from behind some awesome Tiffany vases.
Photo taken by Patty, Louis Comfort Tiffany Intern at the Met
and the author of the awesome blog, Retrograde Design.


Patty and I "strolled through Versailles" as Abby snapped pictures. Although, we really liked the sunset lighting, we realized this wasn't really funny, exciting, or iconic.

So we thought and we thought and we walked and we walked and we finally hit upon a contest-worthy photo. It’s going to be awesome (we hope). By the way, if you live in the city and own black clothes and are free next weekend, email me. Otherwise, tune back in next week to see our entry.


6 comments:

  1. "We started out in the American Wing, of course..." OF COURSE!

    I like the Versailles shot, but I'm looking forward to seeing what you submitted.

    NB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm already impressed by your highly anticipated photograph because it involves dressing up in uniform.

    Although, I'm pretty sure that the questions 'Do you live in the city?' and 'Do you own black clothing?' are redundant.

    Sounds like a great campaign - I'm always a bit disconcerted to see people walking around art museums and flashing photos of everything, everywhere, but I like the idea of trying to turn those into something that really uses the backdrop well.

    I think that if I keep reading your blog, I'm going to start wishing I lived in New York.

    s.s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Staci, aren't we those people who walk around [art] museums taking photos of everything? And is this such a bad thing -- as long as you take a moment to look through something other than your LCD screen? Are you questioning the value of building your visual memory?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, yeah we are totally those people. But it never occurs to me to do that when I'm not a tour with our group.

    Lately I've been to a couple shows where groups of people seem to be taking pictures of themselves at a few places in the gallery, and not really looking at anything otherwise. It's like college parties that seem to be excuses for Facebook albums - the whole experience turns into a shopping trip for potential photos. And while I don't necessarily think there are wrong ways to use a museum, I find it disconcerting, in the same way I always react to the dismissal "I wouldn't hang it on my walls." Not to be a total snob, but does everything have to be about that?

    Oh, and the flashes are distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fiiiight! Heh, just kidding. Love you guys!

    One thing that I paid more attention to here was the overall atmosphere of certain galleries. In a way, a museum is theater, and I like that.

    p.s. I'm the "Tiffany & Co. Foundation" intern... don't want to annoy those that dole out the money!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Staci, you know I feel that it's asinine for people to assess fine or decorative art and/or furniture based on whether they like it enough to put it on display or use it in their space. As we have been told, "scholarship [and art appreciation] is not shopping." In short, I support your snobbery.

    I suppose I take more photos when I'm traveling en corps. I haven't experienced the phenomenon you're describing --perhaps because I tend to avoid hip exhibitions since I am un-hip.

    ReplyDelete